Saturday, June 07, 2008

HIL -LAR -RY!!!

I cried when watching Hillary's speech today. I'd been feeling melancholy about the outcome of the Democratic primary for days, but nonetheless was surprised at how emotional I was. Hillary has been my choice from the beginning of this process, and as I watched her give what had to be the hardest speech of her life, I couldn't help but consider what might have been. She was magnificent today. She showed me again all the qualities that made me want to see her sitting in the Oval Office -- eloquence, heart, toughness, common sense, humor and a stunning intellect. The fact that she was born with ovaries was just a bonus. Yes, I want to see a woman running this country. Men have been doing it since the beginning of our republic, and frankly, have not done such a great job for much of that time. I think it's time for a woman to have a chance.

But as much as I had hoped that woman would be Hillary, there was a voice in the back of my head that was telling me that while she would blaze the trail, she would not be the one to make it to the end. Hillary is a very strong woman who's not afraid to show it. Despite the many years of feminist struggles, too many American men are still can't deal with a strong woman. While they may have superior physical strength, generally their tender male psyches are threatened by strong women. Oh, they won't admit it, but it's evident by their behavior -- the types of women they marry and date, their disparaging remarks about a woman who gets the promotion they sought, the way they teach their sons to treat the women in their lives by word and by example, and on and on.


While listening to her speech, as I wiped away copious tears, I found myself thinking that another woman will benfit by all Hillary has done in this campaign when lo and behold, she begins echoing my sentiment! It was as if she read my mind. Here's part of what she said:

"You can be so proud that, from now on, it will be unremarkable for a woman to win primary state victories, unremarkable to have a woman in a close race to be our nominee, unremarkable to think that a woman can be the President of the United States. And that is truly remarkable. "

Remarkable, indeed, that this country has lost the opportunity to have this remarkable woman as our leader. Below is a link to a portion of her speech. If you missed it, I hope you will take the time here or elsewhere to watch.




Hillary Speaks in Washington, DC June 7

No comments: